Welcome

'Hope will never be silent' - Harvey Milk

A couple of years ago I was given a book containing true love stories from everyday people. The more I read and as much as I loved the idea of this book, it quickly became apparent to me that the vast majority of the love stories contained in this book were between heterosexual partners. As a member of the LGBTQIA community, this saddened me.



I created this blog as a space for other members of the LGBTQIA community to post and share their stories of love. These stories are just as valid and important and have every right to be shared and viewed. Although progress is being made in the realm of LGTBQI rights, there is still a long way to go. In order to reduce the negative stigma associated with the LGTBQIA community, exposure is a must!



Despite the progress towards equality in recent years, there is still much hate and discrimination present in the world. I thought that it would be nice for people to see that despite unequal treatment that is still so common in American society, happiness is indeed possible.




Caveat: This blog was not created to "fight the man" and force equality in American society; rather these stories have been posted to give people hope that love in the LGTBQIA is right and okay. Furthermore, this blog was created to honor the stories of everyday people who are often ignored and remind people that love is the same, no matter the couple.


#loveoutloud





** If you have a story that you'd like to share, please email me at: miatfurtado@gmail.com































Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Well my story starts out like any other young, gay boy's story, at the beginning. I knew I was gay since I was about 13 or so, or whenever I started puberty, but I didn't really know what to do about it. At that time I was in Boy Scouts, going through confirmation at church, and just being a kid. Except there was something just a little different, obviously instead of liking girls like all the other guys, I was keen to boys. And having a twin brother made things a little complicated. Oh yeah, I didn't tell you, I have an identical twin brother who is straight. I looked up to my brother and did everything he did, so when it came to dating, I guess I just followed suit. My brother dated girls so I did. I never really planned on dating girls as long as I did; but, after turning 24 and breaking too many girl's hearts, I finally came out.

I said "finally came out" like it was no big thing and I guess it wasn't. I had written it on paper and went through the scenarios in my mind countless times. So I told my brother and the best way I could do it was write it on paper like I had done so many times before. And between the HAPPY crying, hugging, the "I always knew", and the "I'm so happy for you" sincere but cliche comments, I immediately felt like a new person.

But really, I didn't know where to go from there. So my ready and willing brother took the reins and told my mother, who in turn told my father. Let me just tell you that when my mother called the next day, my heart dropped. I didn't know what to expect. But in hindsight, I always knew she knew, and loved me just the same. As for my dad, well our relationship hasn't changed one bit. He still insists on watching football with me and he is always looking out for my best interests, and is so proud "to have sons like my brother and I." I couldn't love them more.

After the initial "outing" to my family it spread like wildfire to my friends, coworkers, extended family, and with the help of facebook, to the world. I had never had a relationship with a guy and had only a few gay friends so I was experiencing uncharted waters to say the least. It was like learning to ride a bike backwards. I had dated girls in the past so I figured that daing guys was the same in a way, right? Oh crap was I wrong. The "gay" scene was something else. The transition took a few weeks, but it felt right. I went out to the clubs, gay bars, and even had a profile on some dating websites. I put myself out there and got a really good response. I went out on a few dates and met some guys at the clubs and bars, but no Mr. Right, until one night.

I just got off of work and had one of "those days", so I went to the bar by my house for a relaxing beer and really just to cool off. The bar tender I recognized because he was hot, but we had never met so I just ordered a beer and thumbed through a Westward magazine. The manager of the bar, whom I knew well, started talking to me and asked if I knew Matt. I didn't so he introduced us. After a couple of beers and a great conversation he asked "what are you doing later?" He was getting off of work soon and wondered if I would like to hang out. In my head I was like, "duh yeah!" I was in love from the start. He was smart, interesting and hot. From that day forward we were inseperable-everything we did was new and exciting.

Matt and I are still together today and it has almost been a year now and we still love each other more than ever. Yeah, we have had our ups and downs, but who hasn't? We are both going to school together, living together and I would not have it any other way. It was easy to fall in love with him because he makes me feel good and is a gentleman, which has taken some getting used to.

That's my story. I know love and good relationships are few and far between but they happen when you least expect it. I know that's what they always say, but in my case, it was true. Just be patient and someday you may find yourself falling for someone and it is a truly great thing.

Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment